For the last 10 years, Brachytherapy evolved from an empirical art to a diversified discipline, with scientific basis, comprising facilities which changed from simple technical offices to technologically complex and sophisticated Services.
The Brachytherapy Service from “Instituto Português de Oncologia do Porto Francisco Gentil, EPE”, only one in the Northern area in terms of SNS, currently reflects this progressive and continuous differentiation, since its creation in 1974, visible in the number of treated patients, organization, activities, quality and complexity of the techniques offered to the oncological patient.
The Brachytherapy Service is included in the Radiotherapy Department and is comprised by two sectors: brachytherapy hospitalization and applications rooms (operating theatres).
– To be a Service of reference to patients;
– To be a Service of reference for training professionals;
– To be a high quality Service;
– To be a Service with high technological level;
– To be a Service which provides new Brachytherapy treatment techniques according to the new indications for this type of treatment, based on clinical evidence levels.
– To provide differentiated and specific brachytherapy treatments, with advanced technological means and conditions for full accessibility, efficiency and effectiveness;
– To create continuous training programs;
– To establish research plans, including adherence to national and international multicentre studies.
The Service also has a technological Mission:
– To treat in due time (international recommendations);
– To treat without complications;
– To treat without toxicity – application precision.