The Microbiology Service is comprised by a multidisciplinary team, committed to the microbiological diagnosis of all IPO-Porto patients and/or from another Institution that requests its services.
The Microbiology Service is integrated in the Laboratorial Diagnosis Department and is organized in distinct sectors:
– Bacteriology Laboratory;
– Mycobacterium Laboratory;
– Mycology Laboratory;
– Parasitology Laboratory;
– Serology Laboratory;
– Molecular Biology Laboratory.
– Provide laboratorial microbiology services in the areas of diagnosis, information regarding the prognosis and follow-up of patients, with quality and in due time, using the best technology possible and assuring high levels of demand and quality;
– Training in service, permanent update of the scientific, technical and professional knowledge of its entire staff, as well as development and participation in scientific research works and operations;
– Development of its activity, reaching the highest levels of efficiency by taking the maximum advantage of the human and technical means available and the best optimization of the cost/effectiveness relation.